The owner of a butchers has been fined a total of more than £6,000 after a worker was seriously injured in a work place accident.
John Graham of JG Meats of Farnworth admitted a breach of the Health and Safety at Work Act during a hearing before Bolton magistrates.
The court heard that employee David Leach, 22, lost part of his thumb in a revolving blade as he was cutting a roll of frozen meat.
A subsequent investigation by the health and safety unit of Bolton Council showed that the blade guard was jammed and not correctly covering the blade.
Shop owner John Graham admitted failing to ensure the blade guard guide was operating properly.
In mitigation it was said that Leach had been working at the butchers for three years and had been correctly trained in how to use the blade.
Solicitor Anthony Shimmin appearing for Graham added that the band saw in question had since been scrapped and replaced. It was added that Graham, a butcher for 32 years, had an excellent safety record.
Shimmin said: "This is a matter which has caused Mr Graham and everyone else concerned a great deal of distress," he said.
JG Meats was fined £3,500 with £2,800 costs.