Food poisoning linked to campylobacter
Health protection experts have confirmed that an outbreak of food poisoning at a Salford hotel was caused by campylobacter.
Specialists from the Health Protection Agency (HPA) North West, Environmental Health Officers from Salford City Council and colleagues from NHS Salford, are investigating the outbreak, which occurred following a function at the Lowry Hotel on 8 October.
Approximately 80 guests developed symptoms and laboratory samples have tested positive for campylobacter infection, a common infection caused by a bug that is carried in the gut of birds, particularly poultry, and animals.
Dr Rosemary McCann, a consultant with the HPA’s Greater Manchester Health Protection Unit, said: “Investigations are still ongoing, including analysis of a questionnaire returned by guests. Environmental Health Officers from Salford City council are working with the hotel.”
Some reports have linked the outbreak with chicken pâté, which was served at the function.
The hotel’s management and staff are cooperating fully with the investigation.
27 October, 2016, 8:30
Next steps for tackling obesity: prevention, sugar consumption a
01 - 03 November, 2016
China Foodtech 2017
07 November, 2016
Butcher’s Shop of the Year
01 December, 2016, 8:30 - 13:30
Policy priorities for the UK food, drink and farming industry