Fire at abattoir

Staff had to be evacuated from a Scottish abattoir after a fire broke out on the premises.

Staff had to be evacuated from a Scottish abattoir earlier this week after a fire broke out on the premises.

Fire fighters were called to the scene; Matheson Jess unit at Brechin Abattoir, on 4 September. Luckily no injuries were reported as a result.

It was later discovered by fire investigators that the fire had begun in a large 26ft by 6ft container of animal fat. Site manager Sandy Boyes commented: "We automatically evacuated the building. No one was injured and it took place in a reasonably well-contained area."

A spokesperson for the fire brigade added: Prompt action meant that the fire was contained and did not spread to other areas. "

User Login

Spotlight

Webinars 
Guides 

Most read

Social

Should the meat industry pay for compulsory abattoir CCTV monitoring?

Calendar