Horsemeat: Saga continues in Greece
Chicken nuggets have been recalled by Greek authorities because of horsemeat contamination.
The nuggets were recalled, along with a list of other products, and some have been claimed to contain 50% or more horsemeat.
In a statement, the Hellenic Food Authority (EFET) said the discovery was made following recent laboratory tests.
Horse DNA was discovered in several items, including frozen soutouki (+25%) and frozen 25g chicken nuggets (+10%); both items were reportedly produced by T&T Foods. Pre-cooked frozen meat burgers, reportedly produced by the company IFANTIS, were also discovered to contain horsemeat.
The EFET said: “Following the positive horse DNA samples, EFET, through its own initiative, forwarded these samples for further laboratory testing for phenylbutazone. The first eight (8) results issued by the General Chemical State Laboratory were negative.”
The full list of items recalled by the EFET was as follows:
- Frozen traditional meat product soutzouki MK, 80g: best-before date 12/2/20/14, cartboxes of 4kg – horse DNA was detected in >25%;
- Frozen chicken nuggets 25g: best-before date 7/1/2014, cartboxes of 3kg – horse DNA was detected in >10% and <25%;
- Frozen schnitzel 130g, best-before date 13/2/2014, cartboxes of 3kg – horse DNA was detected in <1%;
- Frozen traditional meat product soutzouki MK 80g: best-before date 16/1/2014, cartboxes of 4kg – horse DNA was detected in >50%;
- Frozen schnitzel 130g: best-before date 7/12/2013, cartboxes of 3kg – horse DNA was detected in <1%;
- Pre-cooked frozen meat burgers IFANTIS in packages of 10 pieces with net weight 800g and best before date 15/11/2013 (horse DNA was detected in >50%)
- Frankfurter-type Sausages with the trade name «NIKAS BEEF sausages t. Frankfurt» 280g, best-before date 5/5/2013 – horse DNA was detected in >10% and <25%;
- Meat product Parizaki with the trade name “NIKAS BEEF parizaki” 300g: best-before date 6/6/2013 – horse DNA was detected in >1% and <20%.
- horse dna
- chicken nuggets
- frozen 25g chicken
- frozen soutouki 25%
27 October, 2016, 8:30
Next steps for tackling obesity: prevention, sugar consumption a
01 - 03 November, 2016
China Foodtech 2017
07 November, 2016
Butcher’s Shop of the Year
01 December, 2016, 8:30 - 13:30
Policy priorities for the UK food, drink and farming industry