Animal welfare delivery strategy published
A strategy for improving animal welfare in England has been published. The Animal Welfare Delivery Strategy applies to all vertebrate animals under the care or control of humans.
It sets five key goals:
* Improving the skills and knowledge of animal keepers
* Developing more robust systems for monitoring welfare standards
* Providing clear and simple information to consumers on the welfare history of animal products
* Enforcing welfare rules effectively whilst minimising burdens on animal keepers
* Working towards internationally-agreed standards for animal welfare.
Welcoming the strategy Jeff Rooker said: "The Animal Welfare Delivery Strategy reinforces our commitment to high animal welfare standards. Legislation is already in place and the strategy sets out in more detail the goals we are seeking to achieve.
"The strategy places an increased emphasis on sharing responsibility for good animal welfare. It highlights the importance of innovative delivery mechanisms which build on the achievements already made through legislation and stakeholder led initiatives.
"We look forward to working closely with stakeholders to achieve the goals set out in the strategy."