Fire at Staffordshire Rendering Plant
Fightfighters had to put out a blaze at a meat rendering company over the weekend after an oven caught fire.
Firefighters had to put out a blaze at a meat rendering company over the weekend after an oven caught fire.
The fire broke out at John Pointon and Sons in Cheddleton, Staffordshire, in the early hours of Sunday morning.
A spokesperson for the Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "Crews from Leek, Burslem and Ipstones attended an incident at Pointons, Felthouse Lane, Cheddleton, following an emergency call at 5.08am.
"The incident involved a large boiler cooker of animal fats containing approximately nine tonnes of animal waste, which was on fire.
"Firefighters cooled the oven using jets and liaised with on site personnel to isolate the power supply. The fire was caused accidentally."
John Pointon and Sons is one of the disposal plants identified by Defra in its national contingency plans for dealing with animal disease outbreaks and was involved in the recent cull of turkeys in Norfolk and Suffolk.
No-one at the company was available for comment.
27 October, 2016, 8:30
Next steps for tackling obesity: prevention, sugar consumption a
01 - 03 November, 2016
China Foodtech 2017
07 November, 2016
Butcher’s Shop of the Year
01 December, 2016, 8:30 - 13:30
Policy priorities for the UK food, drink and farming industry