Hampshire Sausage & Pie Competition judges the weird and wonderful
The 2014 Hampshire Sausage & Pie Competition saw a whole range of innovative entries, showcasing the best the county’s butchers have to offer.
Entrants into the competition, arranged by Hampshire Fare and held at the Holiday Inn in Winchester, came up with some fascinating ideas; sausage flavours included Banana Split, Goat’s Cheese and Watercress, Venison and Chocolate, and Rose Veal and Sweet Chilli.
The contest also included a new element for 2014 – a Young Sausage Maker category. This was won by Sam Bundy, apprentice at LJ Smith Butchers and Sparsholt College. The youngster triumphed with a very creative concoction – the Pork and Toffee Apple sausage.
Sam said: “I really didn’t expect to win. Pork and Toffee Apple just came to me as a flavour idea and it seems to work. It’s great to be here at the competition among such skilled butchers. I’m looking forward to seeing the sausages on sale in the shop later this week.”
Ninety Gold Awards, 58 Silver Awards and 29 Bronze Awards were presented, with overall trophies going to one winner in each category.
The title of Supreme Champion 2014 was awarded to Uptons of Bassett for its Traditional Pork Sausage. The Southampton butcher’s picked up 13 Gold Awards and won three categories.
Uptons owner Simon Broadribb said: “I was amazed by the results. I am really proud of my team of staff and cannot wait to celebrate with them. The competition is very important to us and it really creates a buzz among local butchers. It helps us to raise awareness of what we do and celebrates Hampshire’s hardworking butchers.”
The overall winners were as follows:
• Traditional Pork Sausage – Uptons of Bassett, Southampton
• Speciality Pork Sausage – The Butcher’s Shop, Milford on Sea – Pork & Spring Onion
• Lamb/Beef Sausage – The Butcher’s Shop, Milford on Sea – Traditional Beef
• Hampshire Sausage – Greenfield Pork Products, Andover – Goat’s Cheese and Watercress
• Home-cured Bacon – Newlyns Farm, North Warnborough – Smoked Back
• Meatballs and Faggots – Uptons of Bassett, Southampton – Traditional Faggot
• Traditional Pork Pie – Crow Farm Shop, Ringwood
• Cold Eating Pies – My Mum’s Cakes, Portsmouth – Gluten-free Egg, Bacon and Chorizo
• Hot Eating Pies – Uptons of Bassett, Southampton – Oxtail and Ox Cheek
• Ready Meals – Soles Butchers, Alresford – Moroccan Lamb
• Black Pudding – Owtons Butchers, Southampton
• Hampshire Charcuterie – Laverstoke Park Farm, Laverstoke – Beef Biltong
• Young Sausage Maker – Sam Bundy, apprentice at LJ Smith Butchers and Sparsholt College – Pork and Toffee Apple
• New Forest Marque Winner – H G Witt, Fordingbridge – Rose Veal and Sweet Chilli Sausages
The competition was judged by 12 professional judges and 12 local guest judges. Frances Slade from Ladies in Pigs judged the Speciality Sausage Category. She said: “The standard of this year’s entries has been excellent. We’ve had to be really critical to find fault. I’m really pleased to have had the opportunity to be involved in the competition.”
Want more stories like this in your inbox?
Sign up for our FREE email newsletter
- butcher ,
- pie ,
- sausage ,
- competition ,
- winners ,
- hampshire ,
- contest ,
- Winchester ,
- hampshire sausage & pie competition ,
- hampshire fare ,
- holiday inn ,
- toung sausage maker ,
- uptons of bassett