Morrisons takes top turkey title
Morrisons was celebrating after scooping the top title in the annual British Turkey Awards last week.
The Bradford-based business took home the title of Retailer of the Year, beating off strong competition from Asda, Tesco, Sainsbury’s and The Co-operative, with judges unanimously deciding the chain offered a great range of turkey products year-round, with Asda following a close second.
Morrisons was also successful in the Best Christmas Traditional Product, with its Fresh Turkey, while rival Asda took home the Best Christmas Premium category with its Blue Slate Turkey.
Sainsbury’s also did well on the night, with its Turkey Breast and Thigh Joint with Cranberry and Apple Stuffing, Topped with Cranberry and Apricot being declared the Best Christmas Convenience Product, while its Thigh Joint with Herb and Cranberry Crumb took the title of Best Meal Solution.
Paul Kelly, chair of the British Turkey Federation, said: “The 2014 British Turkey Awards has once again been very exciting and I would like to extend my congratulations to all the deserving producers and retailers who are working hard to put the very best turkey products on our plates both at Christmas and the rest of the year. Winning products will be flagged up to customers on packs using a British Turkey Awards winner logo to show they really are buying the best of British.”
The evening also raised money for the children’s medical charity Sparks, and Dravet Syndrome UK, with entertainment provided by comedian and television host Patrick Kielty.
The winners in full:
Best Meal Solution (sponsored by Hybrid Turkeys)
• By Sainsbury’s Thigh Joint with a Herb & Cranberry Crumb
Best Christmas Convenience Product (sponsored by Securcom)
• Sainsbury’s Turkey Breast & Thigh Joint with Pork, Cranberry & Apple Stuffing, Topped with Cranberry & Apricot
Best Christmas Traditional Product (sponsored by Easichick)
• Morrisons Fresh Whole Turkey
Best Christmas Premium Product (sponsored by Clarke Group Construction)
• Asda Butchers Selection Blue Slate Whole turkey
Best Innovation Christmas (sponsored by ABN)
• Sainsbury’s TtD Norfolk Black Free Range Turkey Parcel. Layered With Chestnut, Maple and Thyme stuffing, Cranberries and wrapped in Oak-smoked Bacon
Best Innovation All Year Round (sponsored by ABN)
• Asda Chosen by You Turkey Mini Fillets with Brie, Cranberry Sauce & Bacon
Best Foodservice Product for Cost Sector (sponsored by Noble Foods)
• The UK Foodhall Ready to Roast British Turkey Breast
Best Foodservice Product for Profit Sector (sponsored by Noble Foods)
• Mitchells & Butler – Toby Carvery – Carvery Turkey Crown
Best Ready-to-Eat Product (sponsored by Calor)
• Adlington Roasted Turkey Breast Stuffed with Ham & Wholegrain Mustard
Foodservice Operator of the Year (sponsored by Coveris)
• Mitchells & Butler – Toby Carvery
Best Blogger Recipe (sponsored by Red Tractor)
• Foodycat Alicia – Turkey B’stilla
Student Chefs of the Year (sponsored by Aviagen Turkeys)
• David Pullin of South Staffordshire College for his ‘Oasis of the Middle East’ Turkey Bonbon, Yellow Split Pea Hummus Shredded Turkey Thigh in Moroccan-Style Chutney, Saffron Couscous, Arabic Flatbread Shard and Mint Yoghurt Dip
• Jessica Marshall of Hull College for her Golden Saffron Potato Surprise with a Blanket of Rice topped with Fried Spinach and Spiced Turkey Batons coated in a Pomegranate Reduction with Ground Pistachios, surrounded by a Crab Apple and Blackberry Jam Sauce with Poached Rose-water Rhubarb
Retailer of the Year (sponsored by Zoetis)
Want more stories like this in your inbox?
Sign up for our FREE email newsletter
- british turkey
- turkey products
- british turkey awards
- turkey awards
- british turkey federation
- thigh joint
- “the 2014
- “the 2014 british
- year winning products
- 2014 british turkey