Asda takes home Turkey Retailer of the Year 2013
Asda has been crowned Retailer of the Year at the 2013 British Turkey Awards, taking the title for the fourth year in a row.
The retailer’s commitment to selling fresh turkey all year round proved a hit with the judges, who praised Asda for offering a good range of everyday basic cuts as well as more innovative products to appeal to a broad range of consumers.
While many of the competing retailers, including Tesco, Morrisons, Sainsbury’s, Co-op and Aldi, were praised for their good ranges, judges felt Asda’s seasonal additions, including sausages and burgers for the barbecue, tipped the scales.
Morrisons everyday range also came highly commended, for its wide variety, in particular the added value products such as marinated turkey steaks, leg and thigh joints and a choice of lean breast or thigh mince.
Asda took the title from TV’s Catchphrase star Stephen Mulhern, and Nicola Compton, chair of the British Turkey Federation’s Publicity & Marketing Committee, in front of more than 260 guests and VIPs at The Savoy, London.
Winners of the 12 categories were announced from 83 entries, ranging from a pulled BBQ Turkey Thigh with a lime & Chilli BBQ Sauce, Kentucky Spiced Turkey Breast and Turkey Meatballs. Judges also had to taste their way through 17 different Christmas roast turkeys.
Aldi took the title for Best Christmas Traditional Product, while Grove Smith English Rose Bronze Free Range Turkey took the award for Best Christmas Premium turkey. Sainsbury’s was recognised for having the Best Christmas Convenience Product with its Stock Basted Breast Joint with Cranberry, Apricot and Cherry Topping.
Compton said: “Congratulations to all the winners – with the support of the retailers and foodservice operators the industry is expanding, innovating and ultimately driving consumers to eat more turkey both in and outside of the traditional Christmas season. Specially designed logos are available for packs so that retailers can communicate to their customers that they are supplying award-winning products.”
The evening also raised more than £13,000 for the children’s medical charity Sparks, and Dravet Syndrome UK.
The winners in full:
Turkey Awards Winners 2013
1. Best Meal Solution (sponsored by Hybrid Turkeys)
By Sainsbury’s Just Cook BBQ Turkey Thigh with a lime & Chilli BBQ Sauce
2. Best Christmas Convenience Product (sponsored Securcom)
By Sainsbury’s Stock Basted Turkey Breast Joint with Cranberry, Apricot and Cherry Topping
3. Best Christmas Traditional Product (sponsored by Easichick)
Aldi Ashfield Farm Medium British Turkey
4. Best Christmas Premium Product (sponsored by Alltech)
Grove Smith Turkeys English Rose Bronze Free Range Turkey
5. Best Innovation (sponsored by ABN)
Tesco 4 Chipotle Chilli and BBQ Turkey Burgers
6a. Best Foodservice Product for Cost Sector (sponsored by Flo Gas)
The UK Foodhall Ltd Ready to Roast British Turkey Breast
6b. Best Foodservice Product for Profit Sector (sponsored by Flo Gas)
Grove Smith English Rose Turkey Hen Crown
7. Best Ready-to-Eat Product (sponsored by Noble Foods)
Sainsbury’s Deli Counters Carvery Roast Turkey
8. Best Dietitian Recipe (sponsored by Business Stream)
Angharad Banner for Mediterranean Turkey Gratin
9. Best Blogger Recipe (sponsored by Red Tractor)
Lucy Parissi - Ultimate Turkey Burgers with Spicy Tomato Jam
10. Student Chef of the Year (sponsored by Aviagen)
• Sean Nolan, Hertford Regional College – Salad of slow cooked British turkey thigh, turkey lollipop, beetroot & cranberry cream cheese
• Daniel Draper, Westminster Kingsway College - Stuffed British turkey breast and a turkey thigh baklava served with a sweet potato purée, char grilled green beans and a sherry jus
11. Foodservice Operator of the Year (sponsored by Paragon)
• Mitchells and Butler for Toby Carveries
12. Retailer of the Year (sponsored by Zoetis)
- additions including
- morrisons everyday
- scales morrisons
- barbecue tipped
- including sausages
- morrisons everyday range
- scales morrisons everyday
- asda’s seasonal additions
- seasonal additions including
- additions including sausages