Burgers for breakfast? Survey says yes
Having a burger for breakfast might seem strange for some, but they are fast becoming the preferred option for many British consumers, according to new data from NPD Group.
There were 100.1m burgers eaten out-of-home between 5am and 10.59am in the year to December 2013 – up 6% on 2012 figures – with the pub favourite coming eighth in the table of British Breakfast Top 10 Food Items. Around one in 12 out-of-home burgers were consumed before 11am, compared with one in 16 five years ago.
According to NPD Group, some of the increased consumption at breakfast is down to burgers increasing in popularity with groups containing children aged 17 or younger.
“Five years ago, adults unaccompanied by kids consumed more than 67% of burger servings eaten away from home in the 6am to 10:59am breakfast time slot. Groups with kids up to 17 years of age ate the remaining 33%. Fast forward five years to 2013 and the adult share of breakfast burgers is down eight percentage points (at just over 59%), while groups with kids now get through nearly 41% of Britain’s breakfast burger servings – more than 40 million each year,” according to NPD Group.
Jack MacIntyre, UK foodservice account manager for The NPD Group, said: “When people eat breakfast – perhaps on the way to work, or in the office, or as a treat at weekends – burgers are clearly growing in popularity. But the breakfast classics – servings of good old-fashioned bacon sandwiches, toast, eggs, sausage and baked beans – are unlikely to be toppled any time soon.”
Bacon sandwiches came in first in the table with 268.1m servings, while sausages came fourth with 196.6m servings.
Want more stories like this in your inbox?
Sign up for our FREE email newsletter
27 October, 2016, 8:30
Next steps for tackling obesity: prevention, sugar consumption a
01 - 03 November, 2016
China Foodtech 2017
07 November, 2016
Butcher’s Shop of the Year
01 December, 2016, 8:30 - 13:30
Policy priorities for the UK food, drink and farming industry