Green success for haggis firm
Haggis brand Macsween have become 100% land-fill free through collaboration with waste management companies.
Macsween increased solid waste recycling by 90% between 2005 and 2010 and worked closely with the William Tracey Group, refuse-derived fuel (RDF) specialists, to combat the remaining 10%. RDF is the process of shredding and drying solid waste heading for landfill, which can then be used for the production of sustainable energy.
Robin Stevenson, managing director, non-hazardous waste at William Tracey, commented: “We are delighted to have supported Macsween in achieving their 100% diversion from landfill target. The RDF produced from the small percentage of Macsween’s residual waste, which cannot be reused or recycled, is used in the production of sustainable energy, helping reduce the demand for fossil fuels and cut greenhouse gases.”
Iain Gulland, director of Zero Waste Scotland, which provides help for organisations to become more energy-efficient, said: “It’s great to see a leading producer of an iconic Scottish product achieving this milestone, by eliminating waste to landfill and changing its packaging. Through our Resource Efficient Scotland programme, we’ve worked with Macsween to support its drive to become a 100% landfill-free company. Macsween has shown other organisations in Scotland’s food and drink industry what can be achieved.”
James Macsween, who heads up the firms environmental management programme, commented: “We are committed to reducing our environmental impact, and working in partnership with The William Tracey group to become a zero waste business is a fantastic milestone for Macsween. Sustainability is a core part of our commitment to quality, innovation and long-term growth.”
Want more stories like this in your inbox?
Sign up for our FREE email newsletter
- greenhouse gases
- waste management
- refuse-derived fuel
- william tracey group
- zero waste scotland
27 October, 2016, 8:30
Next steps for tackling obesity: prevention, sugar consumption a
01 - 03 November, 2016
China Foodtech 2017
07 November, 2016
Butcher’s Shop of the Year
01 December, 2016, 8:30 - 13:30
Policy priorities for the UK food, drink and farming industry